35th Ceramic Showcase
Several Clayfolk members will be at this incredible show!
The nation’s largest show and sale of handmade pottery, sculpture, garden art, home accessories and other creative clay work.
($3 donation suggested to support clay education)
April 21, 22, 23, 2017
- Friday 10-7
- Saturday 10-5
- Sunday 10-4
LOCATION: The Oregon Potters Association 35th Annual Ceramic Showcase returns to the Oregon Convention Center
NCECA’s 51st Annual Conference : Future Flux
Portland, Oregon March 22-25, 2017
As journey’s end for Lewis and Clark in the early 19th century, expedition and discovery have framed our imagination of the Pacific Northwest. As we pass beyond NCECA’s first fifty years, the interconnection of mind, materials, and transformation at the heart of ceramic process, art and education can serve as trail heads to our future. Our creative work in the 21st century increasingly engages with hybrid practices, issues of diversity, notions of community and dynamic change. How will more sustainable models of ceramic art and education continue to evolve? What are the essential competencies and capacities for ceramic artists and educators today and for the future? How can we continue to draw from rich historic traditions while reinvigorating their relevance in rapidly changing global societies? Portland, Oregon, a city of rivers, makers, and entrepreneurs is an ideal vantage point from which to investigate these questions and others. Join us at Future Flux and help transport us to the ways that ceramic art and education will continue to matter.
Oregon Convention Center
777 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard
Portland, OR 97232
MORE AT: http://nceca.net/
Amy Kline is a potter, glaze chemist and Nevada State College adjunct faculty member who has worked with Tom and Elaine Coleman since 2002 presenting workshops in Henderson and Las Vegas, Nevada.
Sunday will feature throwing, carving and glazing demonstrations. Monday will offer hands-on throwing and hand-building.
DATES: Sunday – Monday, March 19 – 20, 2017
TIME: 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Clayfolk members: $45 for one day/$90 for both days
SPACE IS LIMITED!
To reserve your space Download the registration form and mail with payment..
(Payment info is included on the registration form.)
Ray Foster Studios
326 Laurelwood Drive
Jacksonville, OR 97530
QUESTIONS: call 541-474-6532
Our wonderful Library committee just posted the new resource materials purchased from funds raised at the 2016 Clayfolk Show & Sale.
A portion of the profits from the annual Clayfolk Show & Sale go to provide a resource for our members and the public through the purchase of books and videos for the Jackson and Josephine county library systems.
This is a wonderful service for our members and the community!
Check out the full list of donated resources here.
Lots of new folks became committee chairs in January.
Please check out our Committee page for the latest list of chair’s. Many thanks to these folks for stepping up for Clayfolk!
Thanks to Guy Woods, here is the 2016 Clayfolk Show Group Shot…enjoy!
For those who want a copy, just right click on the image and select “save image”.
Clayfolk General Meeting Agenda
January 28, 2017
- Potluck/Gift Exchange 1:30, General Meeting 2:00
- Welcome and Introductions
- Review last minutes
- Treasurer’s report
Amy Kline – March 19 (Su) and 20 (M) www.clayfolk.org
Annie Chrietzberg —Early Sept 2017 http://earthtoannie.com/
Items to Vote On
Proposal for giving Board Members Show Booths
Scholarship fund board representative
Conference call option for board meetings
Calendar for 2017
Dissemination of Information Chairs:
Newsletter: Sally Pursell (ex. 12/17). Next newsletter Feb 2017. Need trainee.
Enews: Patricia Richie (ex. 12/19). New chair.
Webmaster: Vicki Chamberlain (ex. 12/17) Operations Manual updated. Need trainee.
Committee Chairs: Filled open positions
Membership: Gwen Childs (ex. 12/19)Empty Bowls: Jackson – Kami Carlson. (ex. 12/19)
Josephine – Roxianne Hunnicutt & Christine Wood (Ex. 12/19)
Points: Debbie Thompson (ex. 12/17) Need trainee.
Workshops: Clara Lanya and Carole Hayne (ex. 12/17)
Scholarship: Besty Moore. (ex. 12/19)
Program Chair: Need chair(12/19)
Library: Marydee Bombick (ex. 12/19) Need trainee.
Photo Booth: Christine Wood (ex. 12/16). Need chair.
Show: Shirley Huff (ex. 12/17) Trainees: Dan Mindard and Mickael Mann
Proposal: Clayfolk Board members get a space in the annual Clayfolk Show & Sale
- Few members apply/volunteer to serve as Board members
- Filling Board positions is difficult
- Incentivize members to fill Board positions
- Encourage continued membership and skills contributions from newer members (Show participation)
- Full booths to officers, ½ booths to at-large Board members
- Current point system encourages participation in committees,
- Point policy is intended to encourage members to: serve as Board appointed chair, attend general meetings, be a show committee chair, be a Board member, actively participate
- Proposal would make point system unequal and unfair-less disruptive options possible
- The Board needs members that care about Clayfolk, not just getting into the Show
- Clayfolk is about education and other community services, not just the Show
Other points to ponder:
- Filled Board positions are necessary for the Show and Clayfolk to function
- Some show chairs get points and money for their show work,
- Members generally have to be asked to volunteer to be on the board; they don’t volunteer out right
- <proposal>Gives new members a chance to learn about the workings of the organization and be in the show.